Silverton Primary School
9:50 AM CASE STUDY: Through the Teacher’s Lens: Designing Space with Choice, Flexibility and Simplicity to Enhance the Nature of Teaching and Learning, and the Relationship between Teacher and Pupil
Silverton Primary School is more than just a school. Over the last 40 years, the school has constructed new spaces to incorporate and accommodate new technologies and pedagogies to reflect the students’ choices. According to Diane Rickard, a teacher at Silverton Primary School for over 12 years, all their designs were stemmed from a simple question asked to the children “What ways can we better your learning?” This case study will discuss the school’s journey into the digital age.
- Designing spaces to reflect the modern student’s needs, choices, expectations and digital capabilities
- Creating multimodal learning spaces to enhance collaborative and self-directed learning
- Experimenting with pedagogy and the digital space to transition courses
- Investigation into mobile-intensive pedagogies in school: a ‘Bring Your Own Device’ (BYOD) trend
- Challenges teachers face in the digital education evolution