Campus Strategy Manager
University of Newcastle
12:20 PM CASE STUDY: NeW Space: Harnessing Innovative Space Designs that Focus on Improved Student Learning
The term “sticky” describes a flexible environment where spaces accommodate all types of learning methods, as a result, students utilise the space for longer periods of time – maximising outcomes. Enhancing the student experience through prioritising informal space to support learning, this presentation will explore the NeW Space project, a vertical campus developed at the University of Newcastle.
- How data gained through Post Occupancy Evaluation can positively influence learning space design outcomes
- Encouraging Industry and Community engagement within a modern teaching facility
- Exploring flexible, contemporary teaching spaces, with coordinated technology and design.
Educational environments evolve rapidly to maintain student expectations and stimulate positive learning outcomes. Vacant spaces and new development projects are leaving executives to explore opportunities to transform and utilise aged infrastructures as a result.
- Exploring how vacant spaces occur and the challenges surrounding out-dated infrastructure
- Strategising how to transform and utilise an existing space into an innovative and modern learning environment
- Examining successful projects where transformed spaces broadened learning opportunities and technology was cleverly integrated