Dr. Gordon HowellDirector Learning Environments and Technology Services
Queensland University of Technology (Australia)
Dr. Gordon Howell is Director Learning Environments and Technology Support at Queensland University of Technology. In this role he is responsible for the support and enhancement of the technology in the university's 300 lecture theatres, lecture rooms, tute rooms, and video conference facilities and the management of QUT’s Managed Operating Environment covering 12,000 computers, and 50,000 students and staff. Recently Gordon was responsible for the technology deployment in the $230M Science and Engineering Centre at QUT’s Gardens Point Campus.
He has in excess of 25 years experience within education and technology management; having worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Queensland; Associate Director Client Support Services and Director IT at Australian Catholic University.
Dr Howell has engaged in numerous consultancies in Australia, PNG and New Zealand. He has published several book chapters and regularly presents at technology conferences.
11:00 AM CASE STUDY: Design for Delivery: Designing Innovative and Collaborative Learning Environments to Enable Students’ Development of Soft Skills and Resilience
- Making the shift- implementing digital and flexible education strategies to enable student soft skills
- Retro-fitting existing spaces to create agile and flexible learning environments
- Strategies to achieve better future-proof learning spaces
- Observing the relationships between of space utilisation and student achievements
- Where are we going with the physical spaces?